[Histonet] RE: A sticky subject....

Grantham, Andrea L - (algranth) algranth <@t> email.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 31 06:28:59 CST 2014

Somebody has mentioned a humidifier and I found this to be one of the simplest solutions to the static problem. I got one at Target for a good price and used DI water in it because our tap water here is awful. My lab was in Tucson where we have little humidity anyway and the static often could have been very bad. I was cutting serial sections often and needed every possible section for things like 3D reconstruction, etc. I also put wet kimwipes in the waste tray of my microtome as well and discouraged other people from walking around in the area as to not stir up the airflow.
I had some antistatic devices at one time and disposing of them became a problem when the powers that be discovered that the devices had a small amt of radioactivity. Geeze, you would have thought I was going to threaten to blow up the lab with dry, crystallized picric acid!
As a side note, the plants in the lab loved the humidifier!

Good luck.

Andi Grantham
Retired Histotech and loving it!
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Davis, Cassie [CDavis <@t> che-east.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:19 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] A sticky subject....

Good morning Histo folks,

         I am hoping somebody can help me. Today was a horrid microtomy day, the static was brutal. I tried putting lotion on my hands, the fabric softener sheet, and wearing gloves but to no avail. I heard rumors somebody used to manufactor an anti-static brush but have yet to find one. Does anybody have any other tricks that could be shared?

Cassandra Davis
CDavis <@t> che-east.org
302-575-8095

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the property of Trinity Health and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.