[Histonet] Re: Block and Slide Retention

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 16:46:11 CST 2014

Blake Taylor, Surgical Pathology Supervisor, Lexington Medical Center in SC
asks:

>>We currently keep our blocks and slides indefinitely but would like to
revise our retention policy. I know CAP has a minimum of 10 years, Just
wanted some feedback on what others thoughts on this are.  We are thinking
maybe 15-18 years???<<

I think that with the rapid advent of molecular and genetic studies that
can be done on paraffin embedded tissue, that the 10 year minimum is going
to need to be extended, though I haven't heard of any proposals. A
non-trivial problem, because of the temperature control needed for storing
paraffin blocks.

A related problem: what should be done with archived blocks when a lab
closes, as so many will in the next few years?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN