[Histonet] IHC Validation:

Sebree Linda A LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Sat Aug 30 18:45:33 CDT 2014

I think your last question says it all; it ultimately is up to the director although she/he better be able to explain to a CAP inspector why it was done the way it was done.  We generally follow the CAP guidelines with 10 - 20 +/10-20 - cases.  We've also used the internal negative elements as being negative as expected in our validation documentation.  In some cases, when + cases are rare we've used less than the suggested number just as CAP says is acceptable but we've usually been able to come up with enough.  TMAs are a great way to go if you have them or can make them; cuts down on labor/reagent cost.

Linda A. Sebree
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Jb [craigak12 <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2014 12:29 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] IHC Validation:

How do most people validate IHC?  I want to create a tissue microarray. I wanted to use an average of 6-8 positive tissues.

Is it necessary to validate using negative tissues when there is always an internal negative control in all tissue sections. Now with new polymer detection systems there is not background, etc.

Is IHC validation ultimately up to the discretion of the laboratory director?

Please advise. Thx-

Sent from my iPhone