[Histonet] isopropanol for tissue processing

Julio Benavides j.benavides <@t> eae.csic.es
Tue Aug 19 08:13:18 CDT 2014

Hi,

In our histology lab, we are considering to move from ethanol to
isopropanol for processing formalin fixed samples (post mortem samples,
so big samples). I have been diving in the histonet archives and have
found that the subject has been laready discussed, but somehow I cannot
find a definitive message stating "Yes, we have tried and it works
perfectly. This is our protocol".  So here I am, writing the forum to
see if anyone can kindly confirm that the move from ethanol to
isopropanol is not a traumatic one, and if any of you has eliminated the
xylene as clearing agent as well (and what have you used instead.
Isopropanol/paraffin at 50c or straight into paraffin?)

I have been speaking with Rene J Buesa who, besides a very helpful
person, is highly enthusiast in the use of isopropanol. He has almost
converted me to the isopropanol side!

Thank you very much for your time and help

Regards

Julio Benavides
Instituto de Ganadería de Montaña (CSIC-University of Leon)
Spain