[Histonet] RE: Is there a Law for refusal of pathology services.

Mark Turner mturner <@t> CSILaboratories.com
Tue Aug 19 07:27:23 CDT 2014

Nicole,

Does the surgical consent form address the issue, including consent for further testing?  Many do, and this should cover the issue. She does, however, have the right to revoke any prior permissions at any time she decides to change her mind.  I would have her sign a statement that she is refusing to allow diagnosis and include it as part of a gross-only report.  Holding the tissue as documentation of the procedure is wise, and can be justified to the patient rather easily since giving the specimen back to the client  involves handing them a hazardous substance (formalin), something the OSHA folks frown upon.

I'm also curious how the payors will view this. Sounds like a ready-made excuse for instance denial.  Keep us posted.

Mark Turner,  Ph.D., HT(ASCP)QIHC
Manager, Histology/IHC

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Nicole Tatum
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2014 5:03 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Is there a Law for refusal of pathology services.

Please help,

We had a patient today who had a punch bx of what is believed to be a clinical dermatofibroma.  The  patient stated they did not wish for the specimen to be sent for clinical testing. Our ARNP discussed the need for pathology at length and the patient stated she was a nurse and could sign a waiver denying pathology services.  I have googled and gooled trying to find any specific law or statue. I can only find information pertaining to research or donated tissue. Stating a person no longer has rights "or ownership"to the tissue once consented and removed, but this case is not for research.  Could someone pls share an actual law with me. Seems silly to consent to the surgery but not to the diagnosis. Im not sure what to do at this point. Have them sign a document on our company letterhead stating there denial of services? Hold the tissue hold long? Accession it but only do gross description? Charge anything? Any thoughts or imformation would be greatly appreciated.

Nicole Tatum HT BSH