[Histonet] RE: Glassware Cleaning again

E. Wayne Johnson ewj <@t> pigsqq.org
Sat Aug 16 08:05:06 CDT 2014

Bromcresol means Bromocresol.

Faint not, but I certainly can't say you won't dye if you leave out the O.

The "o" is subject to elision  due to its difficulty in pronounciation.

Such an occurrence of elision between 2 consonants is called syncope.

In English writing an elided vowel is often replaced with an apostrophe to
indicate the elision and perhaps demonstrate the dialect of the speaker.

Colloquial dialects in writing are too informal for stuffy scientific
and medical types, and indeed
special meaning is liable to be construed to the presence of a spurious
punctuation in the name of a chemical.

We don't see {brom'cresol} in
the lab {purple, green} but we can hear of an existence
where it lives happily under other nomenclature.

So "bromcresol" means "bromocresol".

And as in American politics,
the removal of an "O" might seem to make a difference visually
and even might be comfortable to some,
but actually would amount absolutely nothing in terms of what is
being represented, or the dying that is going on.