[Histonet] Weight Loss/Weight Gain Decal

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Mon Aug 11 14:33:51 CDT 2014

I believe this was originally from Patsy Ruegg

Decalcification End Point: Weight Loss, Weight Gain

1.      Blot sample to remove excess fixative
2.      Weigh bone in mg, record as beginning weight
3.      Next day, rinse bone, blot and weigh bone daily, record weight.
Change decalcifying solution to refresh acid OR EDTA. Return bone to fresh
decalcifying solution.
4.      When bone begins to GAIN weight, remove from decalcifying
solution, rinse and process.

        YOU MUST WEIGH IN MILLIGRAMS FOR ACCURACY

Once calcium is totally removed (bone loses weight as this happens), water
replaces the calcium and weight begins to go up.  This is the point at
which calcium should be totally gone.  The original method used a chemical
test at the end to insure no calcium was in the decalcifying solution.  If
you do this, you cannot stir the solution during decalcification.  Be sure
to suspend bone in the solution to insure all sides of bone are in contact
with decalcification solution.