[Histonet] Weight Loss/Weight Gain Decal

Wait, Trevor Jordan WaitT <@t> livemail.uthscsa.edu
Mon Aug 11 14:26:57 CDT 2014

Hello all! I'm currently doing some decalcification and was curious if anyone had some particular advice about the weight loss/weight gain method. I understand that when the decalcification process is complete, the tissue block will begin to increase in weight. However, I'm confused when I should record the weight for the block once they have been taken out of the EDTA solution. You see, for the times I weighed the blocks before... the weights were a little skewed because there were differing amounts of solution on the blocks while they were sitting on the balance. I just want to standardize my protocol a little more so that I can be sure the block is actually gaining weight due to the calcium loss rather than just extra solution sitting on the outside of the block. Would letting the blocks sit out of solution for about 30 minutes before being weighed help with the matter? I know that the blocks take on water once they are completely decalcified so I'm not sure how much this will affect that.

Trevor Jordan Wait
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
Class of 2017 MD Candidate
Abilene Christian University Class of 2013 Graduate
B.S.  Biochemistry