[Histonet] Special stain control validation- CAP compliance

Stacy McLaughlin Stacy_McLaughlin <@t> cooley-dickinson.org
Wed Apr 30 08:42:39 CDT 2014

Hello,
We validate our control blocks prior to patient use.  We label the slide with the stain, date, and results.  We keep the slides in a file for reference.  Our recent CAP inspection cited us on this because it was not documented on paper.  I am considering challenging this, as I feel what we're doing meets the intent of the checklist question.
What are your opinions?
Thanks,
Stacy

**NEW** 07/29/2013
ANP.21460 Special Stain Controls Phase I
Validated tissue controls are required for each special stain.
NOTE: Positive tissue controls assess the performance of the special stain. Special stains are
performed on sections of control tissue known to contain components specific to each special stain.
Validation of tissue used as a positive control must be performed and documented before being
used with clinical specimens.
Evidence of Compliance:
✓ Written results of special stain control tissue validation
[Cooley-Dickinson.org]