[Histonet] RE: Xylene substitute for processing GI biopsies

Donna Millard Donna.Millard <@t> prlnet.com
Mon Apr 21 12:14:34 CDT 2014

Joe,
Yes. We are about to go xylene-free (though we are still planning on using if for cleaning, because the feedback we got was that we still needed to clean the processors with xylene or we would run into problems, and my supervisor heard from people that they had to go back to xylene flushing if they initially stopped). We are going with an odorless substitute because the orange-smelling ones bother some people in the lab. We did a full validation (with blinded evaluations) that included special stains and IHC with all retrieval methods, and Breast Imaging. CAP validation requirements are getting stricter, and new IHC validation guidelenes just came out from CAP, so I would recommend validating. FYI-routinely our pathologists selected the slides with substitute processing over xylene processed (though it was close).

Donna Millard
Director of Anatomic Pathology
Physicians Reference Laboratory, LLC
7800 W. 110th Street,Overland Park, KS  66210
Direct: 913-339-0485
Fax: 913-319-4156

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Physicians Reference Laboratory, LLC and are intended only for the addressee.The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call PRL's corporate offices in Overland Park, Kansas, U.S.A at (913)338-4070