[Histonet] RE: Waste Flammable Info Please

Michael LaFriniere Michael.LaFriniere <@t> ccplab.com
Thu Apr 17 08:12:19 CDT 2014

I found each State that I have been in has a little different method to hazardous waste handling/reporting in the laboratory. I have found that recycling alcohol, xylene and formalin greatly reduces cost; my labs demonstrate 60-70% cost reduction in all areas of concern, (usage, disposal and regulation costs). However, you must invest time for a successful "program", that includes ample space, training and monitoring to assure its maximum benefit. In today's environment of decreasing laboratory reimbursement this is a major "LEAN" process that can be highly valuable in the pathology laboratory!

Michael R. LaFriniere, HT (ASCP)
Executive Director

Capital Choice Pathology Laboratory
12041 Bournefield Way, Suite A * Silver Spring, MD 20904
P: 240.471.3427 * F: 240.471.3401 * Cell 410-940-8844
michael.lafriniere <@t> CCPLab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Chlipala
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:21 PM
To: Dennis Hahn; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Waste Flammable Info Please

Dennis

First of all we are in Colorado.  If you dispose of more than 650 gallons a year in waste you are considered a small quantity generator, that amounts to one 55 gallon drum a month.  Once you become a SQG this requires being registered with the EPA, additional safety training,  every other year on site audits (In Colorado the Colorado Department of Public Health takes care of this) and then the other year a self-certification check list needs to be completed.  If you dispose of less than 650 gallons you are considered a conditionally exempt small quantity generator and are not required to be registered with the EPA.  Since you are disposing of 1 to 2 - 55 gallon drums a month that would mean that you would need to decrease your waste by at most 660 gallons a year or by 50%.

When we recycled only alcohol in 2013 it looked like we still had around 1 - 55 gallon of waste per month.  In 2014 We started recycling alcohol, xylene and proper, so far this year we have only had 2 - 55 gallons of waste picked up, that accounts for a 50% decrease in total waste, so it might be possible for you to start recycling and decrease your waste stream by 50%.  We have also seen a cost saving in the purchasing of both alcohol and xylene the amount we purchase has decreased I don't have the specifics on the amount I just know we order less often that we used to.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504