[Histonet] Waste Flammable Info Please

Dennis Hahn Dennis.Hahn <@t> cookchildrens.org
Tue Apr 15 11:55:25 CDT 2014

I have an inquiry specifically for Texas and/or Children's hospitals:

What is your current volume of waste flammables and how do you handle it? Are you recycling, or is it removed by an outside vendor? A combination of the two? Suggestions on recycling instrumentation? Any drawbacks?

We currently collect all waste flammable materials into a 55 Gallon drum and it is removed once or twice a month by a contracted vendor. The problem is, we are disposing of so much now that the vendor is requiring the medical center to obtain a high-use license involving the state and the EPA. We have evaluated recycling many years ago and found the process to be slow and sort of cumbersome. I know that the process has improved quite a bit over the years, but what about the tech time, tech exposure, time for recycling, etc.? Have you found it to be highly cost effective?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Dennis

Dennis Hahn, HT (ASCP)
Histology Lab Supervisor
Cook Children's Medical Center