[Histonet] longterm storage of tissue samples in 70% Ethanol

Caroline Miller cmiller <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
Wed Sep 18 09:43:54 CDT 2013

Sometimes in the research field or is necessary to store up samples without processing, either waiting for other samples from the set, or the cost to the researcher of processing tissue that they might not need

We always advise our users to fix adequately and then store in 70% until they process. We have never had a problem with this, even when samples have been stored like this for months

The theory is that there is just enough alcohol to prevent dehydration or rehydration and it is in 'steady state'

Any concrete evidence to this fact would be greatly welcomed though, I am going on completely empirical evidence!

Yours
Caroline

Caroline Miller
Gladstone Institutes