[Histonet] cell block staining issues

Martha Ward-Pathology mward <@t> wakehealth.edu
Thu Oct 31 07:18:36 CDT 2013

We have something of a mystery here and I am hoping someone can help.  My cytopath docs are saying that our B72.3 (TAG-72) antibody is not working well in cell blocks created from fluids (plural), etc. and that this is a fairly recent development (over the past 5-6 weeks or so).    The surgical cases we have stained look great as does our control, which is placed on each slide.   We have not changed lot numbers of antibody or made any up recently and the antibody is not expired, or even close.    The only thing we can find that is different is that cytology has been rinsing the needles out with a product called Cytolyt, instead of saline and they started this around the first of August.    Does anyone know if this product could cause any interference with our staining?  The docs just say that the tumor cells are not staining and we are sort of at a loss here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Martha Ward, MT (ASCP) QIHC
Manager
[Wake Forest Baptist Health]