[Histonet] Remove OCT from frozen tissue block

Benoît Delatour benoit.delatour <@t> upmc.fr
Thu Oct 31 02:57:12 CDT 2013

Dear histoneters,
We got mice brains that were initially sucrose-cryoprotected and then
embedded in OCT - flash frozen and stored at -80°C. These tissues were
initially prepared for subsequent cryostat sectioning but due to
technical considerations we need to cut them using a sliding microtome
to get thick (40µm) floating sections. We therefore would like to remove
OCT before cutting. As OCT is water soluble it is expected that placing
the OCT blocks in buffer would help removing the embedding media but
thawing the tissue and then re-freezing it on the microtome stage might
not be the best way to proceed (expected formation of ice crystals with
known associated histological artefacts)...
We would appreciate any alternative solutions. Thanks!
Benoît