[Histonet] 99000 - Can we or can we not bill for it

LeAnn Lang llang <@t> aipathology.com
Tue Oct 29 08:21:37 CDT 2013

Can someone clarify for me if a pathology lab can bill for 99000?  I am
getting contradicting information online.

CAP says:

	Reprinted from December 2000 CAP TODAY

Q: My practice is interested in using code 99000, Handling and/or
conveyance of specimen for transfer from the physician's office to a
laboratory. What is the proper application of this code?

A: Code 99000 can be used when the physician incurs costs for handling
or transporting a specimen to the laboratory, or both. The American
Medical Association has clarified that 99000 can be used to capture the
work involved in preparing a specimen for transportation to the
laboratory, or in transporting the specimen. Preparation for
transportation is reported regardless of whether the specimen is
delivered by the physician office or a courier (CPT Assistant, October
1999). Preparation may include specimen centrifugation, separating
serum, labeling tubes and envelopes, packing the specimen before
transport, completing laboratory forms, and supplying necessary
insurance information and other documents. Medicare and most private
insurers, however, do not recognize this code.

Another group I talked with says they are getting paid for the services
due to costs of supplies and courier charges.

Nowhere does it specifically state that a pathologist can bill for the
specimen handling.   Anyone else billing with this code or have
information to help us out!

Thank you,

LeAnn

LeAnn Lang