[Histonet] RE: Breast Core needle biopsy procedure question.

Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Tue Oct 29 08:09:54 CDT 2013

I hope this helps.  We had problems here before implementing this.  Here is what we have listed for breast cores in our microtomy procedure:

Breast Core Biopsy

Breast core biopsy containing calcium is designated as CA ++ on the side of the block.  This is normally the "A" block of a multiple block breast core case.  The following protocol should be followed when cutting breast core CA ++ block.

Trim the block sparingly

RIBBON #1 - Take three superficial sections; one from the beginning, one from the middle, and one from the end of the ribbon. Label slides S1, S2, S3.  These will be stained H&E.

Cut three levels and three spare slides as follows:

RIBBON #2 - One Spare Slide

RIBBON #3 - LEVEL 1

RIBBON #4 - One Spare Slide

RIBBON #5 - LEVEL 2

RIBBON #6 - One Spare Slide

RIBBON #7 - LEVEL 3

Label spare slides 1, 2, 3

Save spare slides for further testing.  All other slides should be stained for Hematoxylin & Eosin.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)
Pathology Technical Manager
HCA Richmond Hospital Laboratories
office:  (804) 228-6564