[Histonet] Re: AFB Controls

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 21:36:55 CDT 2013

With due deference to Peggy Wenk, I'm a little hesitant about AFB and other
bacterial and fungal controls prepared by artificially inoculating normal
lung tissue, particularly with AFB other than Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

I don't understand why people don't use animal material here. Surely some
enterprising vendor could find a researcher who's infecting guinea pigs
with Myco. tuberculosis.

The best AFB control material I've ever seen came from rhesus monkeys
imported from India (a practice now prohibited) for research purposes. The
veterinarians tuberculin tested the monkeys, put down the ones that tested
positive, and autopsied them.

Perfectly preserved tissue, loaded with red bugs, and HIPAA doesn't give a
hoot about monkeys.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN