[Histonet] AFB Controls

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 10 17:39:42 CDT 2013

Make your own.

Take some fresh lung (slightly edematous is better, if you can get it). Cut
into 2x2 mm cubes (or largest 3x3 mm cubes).

Contact Microbiology, and have them make a broth with a non-pathogenic AFB
in a large tube (e.g., plastic centrifuge tube). Put lung cubes in broth.
Incubate overnight (I found that room temp is usually OK).

Next morning, add 10% NBF. Wait about an hour or so, then dispose of NBF,
and add fresh 10% NBF.  (The first NBF is diluted by the broth, and by
allowing the NBF to sit in the broth for a while, it kills the bacteria.
Adding the 2nd NBF allows the tissue to be fixed in 10% NBF, rather than
diluted NBF.)

Allow to fix most of the day, put tissue in cassettes, process as usual,
embed, and you have lots of AFB controls for really cheap. Write up a cost
containment (how much it cost you to make X number of blocks that you can
get Y number of control slides from vs. the cost of buying the same number
of Y slides from a vendor.) Management will love you for your cost
containment.

Works for gram +, gram -, and fungus (get the correct broth). Will work for
spirochete too, but our micro lab has only a LARGE non-pathogenic
spirochete, which is much larger than syphilis. So doing a Steiner stain
would most likely yield a false-negative. (When the large spirochetes
control is seen, the little syphilis would not be stained.)

Please realize, these controls may not work for IHC. Better check on the
genus. They work great for Kinyoun/Ziehl-Neelsen/Fites, Brown and
Hopps/Brown and Brenn, GMS/PAS, Steiner/Warthin-Starry.

Peggy Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS