[Histonet] Re: India Ink for inking surgical margin borders

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Thu Oct 10 13:18:05 CDT 2013

Tattoos Yucky?  Guess I'm yucky.  I got yucky way before tattoos became popular when the response was more akin to fringe element.

Happy member of the Fringe.

:)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:43 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: India Ink for inking surgical margin borders

Ed Crespo, CT(ASCP) in Cypress CA asks: >>I normally purchase India Ink from one of our vendors, but know it's also sold at artist supply shops.
Does anyone know if I can use the artist india ink for Pathology?  Really, the only issue would be if the ink stays on the tissue during processing right? Please advise.<<

I've used india ink from artist supply stores for marking surgical margins, for many years, and it's entirely satisfactory.

A cheap source of colored particulate inks is tattoo inks - available in a huge range of colors - I have one pathologist client who's used them for years. The only downside is that you have to read some seriously yucky catalogs.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN