[Histonet] Re: India Ink for inking surgical margin borders

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 12:42:31 CDT 2013

Ed Crespo, CT(ASCP) in Cypress CA asks: >>I normally purchase India Ink
from one of our vendors, but know it's also sold at artist supply shops.
Does anyone know if I can use the artist india ink for Pathology?  Really,
the only issue would be if the ink stays on the tissue during processing
right? Please advise.<<

I've used india ink from artist supply stores for marking surgical margins,
for many years, and it's entirely satisfactory.

A cheap source of colored particulate inks is tattoo inks - available in a
huge range of colors - I have one pathologist client who's used them for
years. The only downside is that you have to read some seriously yucky
catalogs.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN