[Histonet] RE: Inconsistent Sections with Cryostat

Manfre, Philip philip_manfre <@t> merck.com
Thu Oct 3 06:54:56 CDT 2013

I believe you may need to have the unit serviced.  It sounds like something is not tight enough, perhaps the stage or blade holder unit.  You said you secured everything which makes me think you have some issue with the cryostat itself.  If a sharp blade, tightened blade and specimen, and varying the speed doesn't work, then you may need professional assistance form a service technician, especially if it is an older unit that has been moved around.  Have you tried different temperatures?  I don't think that is the problem but it is worth a try.

Good luck! Cryosectioning can be an art in itself. Those decent sections are likely thicker than you intend, by the way.  Classic "thick and thin".

Philip Manfre, B.A., HT (ASCP)
Associate Principal Scientist
Merck Research Laboratories
WP45-251