[Histonet] Inconsistent Sections with Cryostat

Perow, Elliott S (PEROWES10) PEROWES10 <@t> juniata.edu
Wed Oct 2 23:32:48 CDT 2013

Hello All,

I have a Leica Cryocut 1800 with a Reichert-Jung 2020 microtome that has sat for 8 years and went through a move from one academic building to another.  I am trying to section brook trout brain, but am having difficulty getting consistent sections.
I will get a good section and then the next section will be a very very thin shaving of usually just the top portion of the OCT block.  I have tried adjusting the clearance angle, made sure the blade and specimen is secured, replaced the blade with a new one, have tried different sectioning speeds, different thicknesses of the section and still continually only get a decent section every other turn.  I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or if maybe the machine just needs a maintenance check due to it being an older machine.  I wasn't sure if the advancement mechanism may be off or if it is another issue that doesn't seem apparent to me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Elliott Perow
Juniata College
Biology POE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The materials in this electronic mail transmission (including all attachments) are private and confidential and are the property of the sender. The information contained in the material is privileged and is intended only for the use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended addressee, be advised that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this material is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to the e-mail, and then destroy it immediately. Thank you.