[Histonet] Over fixation

Sanjeet asanjeet <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 14:33:08 CST 2013

Hi Histo folks,
Tissue biopsy that are  not fixed properly do have an adverse effect on H & E staining. Tissues can be kept in formalin for a period of 5 to 7 days as per literature. But what happens to the tissues that are kept over for a longer period of time. By that I mean 6 to 12 months. Would over fixed tissues have any effect on H & E stain. Some of my colleagues say NO, but I say YES. I find that the over fixed tissues lose their affinity towards the dyes . Please advice.

Sent from my iPhone