[Histonet] Specimen collection/transportation

LeAnn Lang llang <@t> aipathology.com
Mon Nov 18 14:02:04 CST 2013

We were recently contacted by our hospital indicating that we are in
violation of OSHA by using the process we currently are using.
Currently, we provided prefilled 10% neutral buffered formalin
containers to the surgical suites, birthing units, etc.   They fill the
containers with the specimens and return them to the pathology lab.   We
have done this process for many many years and have never been
questioned for this by either CAP or Joint Commission.  What is your
process for specimen collection/transport?  Are the specimens put in
formalin in the surgery suites/birthing unit/etc or in the pathology
laboratory?  How about placentas, are they sent in formalin from the
floor or are they put in formalin in the histology lab?

Thank you!

LeAnn

LeAnn Lang

Associates in Pathology