[Histonet] Rolling of my ribbon ? Another paraffin question.

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 14 07:10:07 CST 2013

Just a thought - have you tried changing the angle of the blade?

Each different type of blade from different vendors need a different angle
for microtoming.

Each different type of microtome from different vendors need a different
angle for microtoming.

I know these two facts, as I have tried different vendors' blades, and have
had to change the angle on the microtome to get a good ribbon. The School
also has different vendors' microtomes in the School, all using the same
blades, and they had to be set at different angles. Plus, I have talked with
vendors of various microtomes and various blades, and those who really know
microtomy, especially those were were/are histotechs, will tell you that the
blade angles need to be changed depending upon which blade is being used at
which microtome. And also, from year to year, with different students
sitting at the "same" microtome, we've also had to change the angles,
depending on how the student cuts.

We haven't changed brands of paraffin in the long time, but I'm wondering if
we would need to change the angle of blade if we got a different paraffin.

The easiest way to check is to move the knife angle all the way to one end
(for example, on the vendor's microtome that we have the most of in the
School, that would be to # 10.) Try microtoming. If that doesn't help, move
it  one degree (what would be #9 if there were a number). Try microtoming
again. Keep doing this (changing angles and microtoming) until you get the
best ribbon. (We found it easier to start at one end and move "down", rather
to start in the middle (say, #5), and then not know if we need to go up (#6)
or go down (#4)).

Let us know if knife angle is a factor with this new paraffin. I'd really
like to know.

Vendors - anyone know/have information that blade angle makes a difference
with type of paraffin, for getting good ribbons?

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS