[Histonet] Tracking OR specimens

Garrison, Becky becky.garrison <@t> jax.ufl.edu
Wed May 29 09:56:10 CDT 2013

Realize this is a late response....
I can pull a "Specimen report" through Centricity (the OR computer system).  The OR staff enters each specimen as it is collected  (for pathology, cultures for micro, frozens, touch preps) into Centricity as part of their documentation for the case.  The report I pull extracts this data.  I run each day after 12 noon for  the previous day.

We only instituted this in April.  Gives great feedback and lets me  check that the specimen is received in Pathology but that the pathology accession staff accurately records each specimen.
We also get the OR schedule but not all cases on schedule generate a specimen and some cases expected to have pathology specimen don't and other cases not expected to generate a specimen do ...... so the Specimen Report is the most specific
way to track what was intended to go to Pathology.

Unfortunately, we are converting hospital wide to EPIC and so far, EPIC OR documentation does not have a comparable function.  Orders will then be placed
not in an OR module but in the same place that all other orders are placed and our
Order Interface does not give specific specimen sites.

If there are EPIC users / EPIC vendors that have a solution, I would really like to hear from you.

If you use Centricity and want more specifics, will be glad to give more information on our set up.

Becky Garrison
Pathology Supervisor
Shands Jacksonville
Jacksonville, FL 32209