[Histonet] Working in a Lab alone

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri May 24 09:12:22 CDT 2013

Pam

I don't believe that they are any reqs regarding this, but there is a tremendous amount of information on the web associated with this topic (working alone in the lab).  We have a policy here that no one can work in the lab alone, but we instituted that ourselves and we are a small business.  This has been addressed at lot at universities when individuals are in the lab at all hours of the day by themselves and if something happens there is really no one else there to help.  I believe I have some documents in my files that I can forward onto  you if you like but I did not see any regulations specifically and policies  varied from institution to institution.

Liz

Laboratory Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
Work (303) 682-3949
Fax (303) 682-9060
Cell (303) 881-0763
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

Ship to address:

1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of pam plumlee
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:55 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Working in a Lab alone

Good morning:  I'm trying to help out my CLS coworkers...they have been asked to work Saturdays-by themselves-1 person alone in the lab for approx. 4-5 hours.  They are a bit worried by the security factor-although we are located in a kind of remote industrial area, the building has card key locked doors.  My concern is working in the lab alone.  We have many freezers, fridges and other water sources that may present a slip risk.  Does anyone know if there are state, CAP, CLIA guidelines, preventative rules about this matter.  We are located in California.  Any help, suggestions appreciated.  Pam at BioT.