[Histonet] Working in a Lab alone

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri May 24 09:09:20 CDT 2013

There are no prohibitions (if that is what you mean by "regulations") about working by yourself in a lab. That is totally an administrative decision usually guided by the need of not letting tissues in hot paraffin, or reducing Monday's complement or any other reason.
Intrinsically it is not dangerous unless the worker has a medical condition in which case the worker should state that to be excused. Other than that, there is no special dangerous circumstances for somebody to work alone in a lab. If you do not like it or cannot just say it. That is your prerogative regardless of the existence or not of any regulation on the subject.
Personally I love it and did it for some time when I started in this profession.
René J.

From: pam plumlee <paw555 <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 9:55 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Working in a Lab alone

Good morning:  I'm trying to help out my CLS coworkers...they have been asked to work Saturdays-by themselves-1 person alone in the lab for approx. 4-5 hours.  They are a bit worried by the security factor-although we are located in a kind of remote industrial area, the building has card key locked doors.  My concern is working in the lab alone.  We have many freezers, fridges and other water sources that may present a slip risk.  Does anyone know if there are state, CAP, CLIA guidelines, preventative rules about this matter.  We are located in California.  Any help, suggestions appreciated.  Pam at BioT.