[Histonet] RE: ANP.21382-Evaluating reagents lacking exp. date

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Fri May 10 10:04:12 CDT 2013

We label liquids with a 3-year expiration and solids with a 5 year expiration. I try to order amounts that we will use it up within that time period (tho usually a shorter time period for most things, like a year or less). If not, we run a test  on the reagent and relabel it for another 3 or 5 years.

I also asked that question to Fisher Scientific tech support and they sent me a letter stating that reagents without expiration dates were expected to last indefinitely under the stated storage conditions, but generally 3 to 5 years was a reasonable assumption for shelf life.

One thing you can do to ensure shelf life of powders is order hydrated versions. Anhydrous versions will absorb  water from the air over time and so have less shelf life.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Turner, Leandra
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 5:06 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] ANP.21382-Evaluating reagents lacking exp. date

Hi Everyone,

This CAP question has probably been posted before, so I apologize in advance.
But I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some ideas about the best way to handle this question.

Thank You,
Leandra Turner, HT (ASCP)cm
Dell Children's Medical Center

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately. Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege._______________________________________________