[Histonet] linear stainer hematoxylin staining issues

Kienitz, Kari kkienitz <@t> orclinic.com
Wed Mar 27 12:46:04 CDT 2013

If your acetic acid solution is made in-house....I would suggest remaking it, just in case it was accidently made stronger.

Kari Kienitz HT, (ASCP)
Histology Laboratory
Portland Gastroenterology
The Oregon Clinic
1111 NE 99th Ave
Portland, OR  97220
503.935.8311
kkienitz <@t> orclinic.com

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This e-mail and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this missive. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and its attachments from your computer system. Thank you
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sophia Lin [lins0701 <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:26 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] linear stainer hematoxylin staining issues

We have the Hacker linear stainer, and for the past two weeks we had clean,
crisp H&E staining. However, last Friday, something happened and our H&E
stains no longer look crisp, but instead have a hazy, unreadable look.
Nothing different has been done, and we have troubleshot for every possible
scenario. After a clean set up, we noticed that the hematoxylin is not
staining very well. We have it set for 2 minutes with agitation for a
uniform staining. Hematoxylin is Harris Special (mercury free) from MCC and
the eosin is with phloxine b from AMT. After the hematoxylin (2 buckets for
total of 4.5 minutes), we use 1.5% acetic acid. It seems that the
hematoxylin is not staining well.

Any tips? We may need to consider increasing a bucket for hematoxylin?

Thanks,

Sophia