[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 112, Issue 28

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Tue Mar 26 21:43:30 CDT 2013

Hi Sophia,
Your message is many hours old, and hopefully you figured out something already.  Maybe this will help next time.  What stains were you going to do with these slides?  Our list of "Stain" removers may not be compatible with your desired stain.
1) 1% Acid (HCL), ~20 minutes, depending on hematoxylin blend.  Acetic acid solutions will not remove the stain.2) 0.5% periodic acid, 5 minutes3) 5% Chromic acid, 5 minutes (wash water) followed by 1% sodium metabisulfite.4) Potassium permanganate, 5 minutes (wash water) followed by oxyalic acid.5) HIER6) Do not use any percentage of bleach.  Bleach destroys proteins plus sections float right off.
See a trend?  Yeah, we've made our share of mistakes too.
We also had several linear stainers.  My coworker, Lynn, cut a few inches of polypropylene or nylon strapping (box shipping), bend 1.0 cm of one end 90 degrees, and insert between the container you don't want the slides to fall into + downstream.  Put the piece over the top of the front third of the staining containers, to block the slide holders, not the slide bottoms.  It saved us many times.
Hope all turned out well,HughUH Cancer Center