[Histonet] Leica CV5030

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Mon Mar 25 14:13:58 CDT 2013

We have this same model which we use for routine staining, as well as the smaller Dako product we use for IHC and special stains.  We've recently been advised to use microtome oil to lubricate the V-shaped grippers on the CV5030, as the previously-suggested grease was only causing more buildup (we also use Ventana labels).  We had earlier received a software upgrade which lessened but certainly did not eliminate the gripping/dropping problems we had experienced that you described, Bruce.

Show me a walkaway, problem-free coverslipper and I'll show you...

I'm sure all models have their problems and challenges.  Certainly the Dako CR100 has a simpler in-and-out, less-gravity-challenging mechanism than the Leica CV5030.

Eric Gagnon
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Bruce wrote:
>This coverslipper is over engineered. No self respecting histologist would design something that holds the slide a foot in the air by two "v" shaped grippers. Gravity sucks and the slide falls. I have a box of DISTROYED slides that I show the repairman. Can you imagine "Sorry Mr. Smith we can't read your biopsy because it splintered into pieces AFTER we did all the hard work." "Good luck with that health of yours."
It is NOT compatible with Ventana labels, as the gum sticks to those grippers and the slide falls, or jams in the output rack.
To tell you the truth, I loved the old Leica coverslipper. It had a "walking beam" and never broke a slide.
I'm in the mood for a Sakaura.

Bruce Gapinsk HT (ASCP)
Chief Histologist
Marin Medical Laboratories