[Histonet] Fluorochrome bone labeling in dogs

Malandra, Allison E allison-malandra <@t> uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 18 15:24:22 CDT 2013

Good afternoon -

Our lab is planning an upcoming study that involves using fluorochrome bone labels in hound dogs.  One is oxytetracycline at 30 mg/kg IV.   Back when I was a young veterinarian, I took care of two dogs that went into acute renal failure after they were given that dose. I know that oxytet is widely used as a bone label in dogs but the nephrotoxicosis has been reported in several citations.  A PubMed search revealed a wide range of dosing of oxytet for bone labeling in dogs (usually between 10-30 mg/kg) used IV, SQ or IM.

Can anyone share their oxytetracycline labeling protocol for dogs? We would prefer to not give it IV if possible but I have heard of granulomas forming IM. Has anyone experienced the renal toxic effects? I believe one paper looked at giving parenteral fluids at time of administration to help with diuresis but I am awaiting inter-library loan delivery for the full citation.

I appreciate everyone's time and help.

Allison Malandra, DVM

Bone Healing Research Lab

University of Iowa