[Histonet] RE: AFB and negative control

Debra Siena DSiena <@t> statlab.com
Fri Mar 15 14:10:33 CDT 2013

Hi All,

According to CLIA Interpretative guidelines, a negative AFB control tissue is to be run each day of testing.

§493.1256 Standard: Control procedures.

(e)(2) Each day of use (unless otherwise specified in this subpart), test staining materials for intended reactivity to ensure predictable staining characteristics. Control materials for both positive and negative reactivity must be included, as appropriate.

Interpretive Guidelines §493.1256(e)(2)-(e)(3)
Acid-fast stains must be checked each day of use for positive and negative reactivity.

Debbie Siena
800.442.3573 ext. 229 | www.statlab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of joelle weaver
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:51 PM
To: Mayer,Toysha N; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: AFB and negative control

This practice is listed as a QC measure for issues of cross contamination in the ASCP publication "Quality Management in Anatomic Pathology, Nakhleh, R. M.D. I have never had any issues that were persistant enough to warrant this measure myself, but it is one of the suggestions made under the section for use of control tissue/slides.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC