[Histonet] SMC Immuno and Elastin combo?

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Wed Mar 13 18:13:09 CDT 2013

Nancy,

The red of the classic VG counterstain stains the collagen. Muscle will appear yellow. If the yellow is obscuring the brown DAB then after VG staining wash the slides in water. This will remove the picric acid staining leaving the muscle brown.
Since Nova red is red (I assume since I have not had cause to use it - I'm a DAB man!), I would use Picro Indigo carmine or Picro-Light green.

Picro-indigo Solution (Ortiz-Hidalgo C "Abelardo Gallego(1879-1930)and his contributions to histotechnology: The Gallego stains" Acta histochemica1 13(2011):189-193):
Picric acid (saturated solution)	100ml
Indigo carmine			0.25mg
Distilled water			15ml

Whippy's Elastic Stain (Whippy P "A Stain to Try - Whippy's Elastic Stain" Histograph Jan 2008:7):
Light Green Stock Solution
  Light Green  		2 gm
  Distilled water  	  	100 ml
  Glacial Acetic Acid  	  2 ml
  Place Light Green and distilled water into a conical flask and mix well.
  Add Acetic acid and mix.
  Filter and pour into stock bottle.

Light Green - Picrate (Whippy's) Solution
  Saturated aqueous picric acid  	  	10 ml
  Light Green stock solution		5 drops
  Pour Picric Acid into a conical flask.
  Add Light Green solution, stir until dissolved.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA