[Histonet] ANP.23018

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Mar 6 12:35:11 CST 2013

Lisa

First of all I want to state that I'm in a research lab and not a clinical lab.

I believe that they are looking that the control tissues for IHC stains that are being used for image analysis (ER/PR, HER2, Ki-67, etc.) contain multiple tissue samples with different staining intensities, such as negative, 1+, 2+ and 3+ expression levels.  What expression levels you use I believe CAP leaves up to you but I would think one tissue that is 1+ and one tissue that is 3+ would work.   Others in the clinical setting may comment on this in more detail.   Vendors will supply cell block controls with varying expression levels with these kits but ideally you should be using laboratory positive controls (tissue processed in your lab) and these should consist of multiple tissues so when stained they will demonstrate different expression levels.

It's also important in the IHC protocol development and validation process that tissue of varying staining intensities be used also.

Liz

Laboratory Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592