[Histonet] Unencased Ameoba Stain

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 4 05:08:13 CST 2013

Getting back a little late (been out of state).

If this is Acanthamoeba, then we do a PASH and/or a GMS. These are cysts,
and show up nicely with both. The cornea can be PAS positive also, so the
Acanthamoeba are a darker pink against a lighter pink, while the GMS is
gray/black against the green background. It looks a lot like pneumocystis
with a GMS, but without the bull's eye, and about 2-3 times larger.

But it's the cyst wall that is staining with the PAS and the GMS, as the
cyst has a lot of glycogen.

But you are asking for unencased amoeba. So that sounds like no cyst. Are
you looking for just the trophozoites? I would suggest one of the Giemsa
stains, or maybe a Brown and Hopps. A cresyl echt violet (actually cresyl
violet acetate, but everyone still calls it by it's old name), would
probably also work - I read about it in the NSH Journal of Histotechnology
about 20 years ago for the trophozoites of pneumocystis, but I've never
tried the stain.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Health System
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not represent BHS.