[Histonet] Losing tissue on IHC slides

Sue Hunter SHUNTER <@t> beaumont.edu
Mon Jul 29 07:37:08 CDT 2013

Good Morning
Another thing to try is different slides.  We have had issues with bad batches/lots of slides - even the Fisher Superfrost plus.  Especially if your purchasing department buys in quantity and then stores the slides in hot warehouses. This seems to  negate the charge on the slides - but in an inconsistent way.  You can have bad slides mixed with good ones in the same box.  Even if you don't want to change vendors, trying a different kind of charged slide would eliminate bad slides as part of the problem.  And just an FYI- we do our control slides the same way you do, (and use tap water) so I don't think that is your problem. We are using the "cheaper" Fisher Superfrost plus slides and they seem to work as well as the full priced ones.  We cut our immuno sections at 3um.
I know how frustrating this can be - I feel your pain!
Good luck!
Sue

Sue Hunter, Supervisor
Advanced Diagnostics
Beaumont Health System
Royal Oak MI
248-898-5146
shunter <@t> beaumont.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Deloris Carter
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 5:09 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Losing tissue on IHC slides

Hi all,
I'm looking for some troubleshooting help.  In the last couple of months we've been having an increasing trend in losing tissue from our IHC slides.  We use a Ventana Benchmark XT.  PM is done on it quarterly.  The problem seems to be with the patient tissue, not the control tissue.  We use Fisherbrand Superfrost Plus slides, picking up the control by dipping the top end of the slide to avoid "double dipping".  We use tap water in the waterbaths which I know could cause an issue, but that's the way it's always been done here, so there's been no change to that part of the procedure. (We did try using DI water, but it didn't make any difference.
Tissue still fell off of slides.) We do use DI water to mix the bulk reagents.The control slides may sometimes have been cut for a longer than recommended time, but that part of the procedure hasn't changed either, same process as always.  If we run separate slides for control and patient tissue, we get much better results, but still have some tissue loss.  I can't say it's all of our tests, but it is a steadily worsening problem.
I'm going through tons of reagent, and I can't seem to nail down the problem.  Ventana rep said to try DI water, don't double dip, try adhesive slides (which didn't really make any difference that we could tell).  I would appreciate any suggestions Deloris Carter Shawnee Mission Medical Center _______________________________________________