[Histonet] Re: Carnoy solution

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 11:56:55 CDT 2013

Carnoy's fixative contains chloroform, and that's enough reason not to use
it. In addition to its toxicity, chloroform dissolves methacrylate plastic,
as I found out the hard way once when I tried to fix a specimen in Carnoy's
fixative in a methacrylate container because I had nothing else.

I've seen Carnoy's fixative used as a "disclosing fixative" for finding
mesenteric lymph nodes in colectomy specimens. There's no excuse for this.
There are a number of proprietary fixatives (such as Surgipath's O-Fix) for
this purpose, or if you're allowed to brew your own, I use Davidson's
fixative (3 parts water, 3 parts reagent alcohol, 2 parts 37% formaldehyde
[NOT 10% NBF], 1 part glacial acetic acid.)

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN