[Histonet] RE: Temperature ranges

Walter Benton wbenton <@t> cua.md
Wed Jan 30 08:44:41 CST 2013

Gail,

Water bath - Needs to be based on the type of paraffin that use since you don't want it to be hotter than the melting point etc.... It is a number range that you establish based on the paraffin. My experience has been between 40 to 50 Celsius

Lab oven for slide drying - Varying opinions exist on this due to IHC stains etc..., but I have seen 60-80 Celsius.

Refrigerators for IHC antibodies - Depends on the contents of the refrigerator but most antibodies are stored at 2-8 Celsius. Concentrates or aliquots are sometimes frozen etc...but you need to read you package inserts etc.... to determine storage requirements

Embedding center (both the hot and cold plates and the reservoirs for the molds and tissue cassettes) Dependent on the paraffin and personal use. Cold plate on our unit is not controllable, however you can control the temp of  hot plates and the paraffin reservoir based on the paraffin temps recommended for your paraffin

Paraffin dispenser - Based on your melting point of paraffin. The bag will tell you a range that it should not go under or above.

Walter Benton HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histology Supervisor
Chesapeake Urology Associates
806 Landmark Drive, Suite 126
(All Deliveries to Suite 127)
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
443-471-5850 (Direct)
410-768-5961 (Lab)
410-768-5965 (Fax)
wbenton <@t> cua.md
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gail Marcella [gmarcella <@t> nj-urology.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:21 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Temperature ranges

Hi - I wanted to find out if anyone knows what the normal temperature ranges for the following pieces of equipment are:

Water bath
Lab oven for slide drying
Refrigeratros for IHC antibodies
Embedding center (both the hot and cold plates and the reservoirs for the molds and tissue cassettes)
Paraffin dispenser

Thanks - Gail Marcella - NJ Urology