[Histonet] RE: Water in molds

Roger Heyna rheyna <@t> lumc.edu
Tue Jan 29 17:55:08 CST 2013

We've seen this problem before in our lab, and it was traced back to the mold release, just as Sheila said.

Roger Heyna, BS, HTL
Loyola University Medical Center

>>> "HERRINGTON, SHEILA" <SHEILA.HERRINGTON <@t> interiorhealth.ca> 1/29/2013 5:08 PM >>>
Are you using mold release?  Sometimes that can cause what you are describing.

Sheila Herrington, RT (CSMLS)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bonnie Gambichler
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:00 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Water in molds

Hello everyone,

My question concerns the possible presence of water in the embedding molds.    Lately I've been noticing that the sections made from blocks embedded in our lab are melting very quickly around the edges.  The sections are also coming apart from each other when placed on the waterbath.  The tissue remains intact, so I don't think it's a processing problem.  Could this be due to residual water left in the mold mixing with the paraffin?

Bonnie Gambichler, HT (ASCP)