[Histonet] Re: Question

Pratt, Caroline Caroline.Pratt <@t> uphs.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 24 14:15:33 CST 2013

For example, we have a 35+ year Immunotech with a Bachelors of Science who learned bench techniques by hand, when the automated stainer malfunctions, she is able to identify how to pick up where the machine left off and complete the test, saving the tissue. As Rene said, by understanding the science and theory behind the mechanics, you improve patient outcomes and are capable of high complexity testing even if you have mechanic assistance under most circumstances.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:43 PM
To: histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com; 'Sullivan, Beatrice'; 'Mark Tarango'; 'Tim Higgins'
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; courtney.pierce <@t> quintiles.com
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re: Question

We have to remember that it is not just putting slides in/out of automated stainer.
It is also understanding what the histotech is doing, how to design a validation experiment, how to look for an antibody the pathologists wants to test, how to troubleshoot a problem, how to justify switching from a detection system to another more convenient to the procedure on hand that for any reason no longer "works".
A histotech needs to know what s/he is doing. And to do all of the above has to have knowledge besides the training and the mechanics of what s/he is doing.
Designating a task as "high complexity" demands that the histotech has the basic theoretical knowledge and therefore deserves a better pay.
As some people has said before, putting slides in/out of an automated stainer of any kind) can be done by a monkey.
Understanding what is involved in IHC is above a monkey's pay grade.
René J.