[Histonet] Which fixative for eyes

Elizabeth Cameron Elizabeth.Cameron <@t> jax.org
Wed Jan 16 13:49:11 CST 2013

We work with mice and do a variety of fixatives, but we prefer a methanol/acetic acid fixative.  It holds the shape of the eye very well, although it may not show the Schlemm's canal as well as other fixatives.
-Liz

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lucie Guernsey
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:59 PM
To: Louro, Pedro
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Which fixative for eyes

I'm curious about this as well.

We work with mice and rats in our lab and whenever we need eyes (corneas, more specifically), we immersion fix them whole in Bouin's solution overnight at 4C then transfer to 70% EtOH until we're ready to excise the corneas, process and embed into paraffin. We've found that we get nice half-moon sections with good looking stromal and epithelial layers this way compared to fixing the eyes in 4% PFA (which yielded squiggly, damaged corneas). We then perform IHC.

Would love to know if there's a better way, even though this seems to work for us.

Thanks,
Lucie

Lucie Guernsey
UCSD