[Histonet] RE: Permanent Fluorescent Mounting Media

James Watson JWatson <@t> gnf.org
Tue Jan 15 12:25:35 CST 2013

Has anyone used hardmount mounting medias for fluorescence in a high volume situation (up to 120 slides a day at times) when the slides are scanned?  We have tested BioCares, Thermofishers, and Vectashields.  We found that we liked the Thermo Immu-Mount best. Biocare Fluoro care antifade mountant worked, but with scanning we saw some stains were out of focus.  The VECTASHIELD HardSet Mounting Medium with DAPI gave us a higher percentage of fading and out of focus images.

Our issue with the hardmount and scanning is that we see one edge of the slide in focus and the other out of focus frequently.  We are working on our mounting technique to see if this can be corrected by modifying our coverslipping technique.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  This does not make your fluorescence permanent since most fluorochromes fade with age.

James Watson HT  ASCP
GNF  Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
Tel    858-332-4647
Fax   858-812-1915
jwatson <@t> gnf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Suresch, Donna L.
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:08 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Permanent Fluorescent Mounting Media

Hello Histonet,
Anyone know of a non-aqueous permanent mounting media for use with fluorescent IHC?

Donna L. Suresch
Senior Imaging Research Scientist
Merck Research Laboratories
Department of Imaging - West Point Campus
Mail Stop:  WP44K    Office: WP44-H129
770 Sumneytown Pike
PO Box 4
West Point, PA  19486-0004
Phone:  215-652-7349
Fax:  215-993-6803

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information for affiliates is available at
http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.