[Histonet] staining site of bone deposition on live specimens

Robert Schoonhoven robert_schoonhoven <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 14:19:10 CST 2013

In the past we used tetracycline on rats.  Not sure how that would affect live aquatic amphibians.

Robert Schoonhoven, HT/HTL (ASCP)

________________________________
From: Christopher Sheil <csheil <@t> jcu.edu>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:23 PM
Subject: [Histonet] staining site of bone deposition on live specimens.

Hello,
    I study the timing of formation/ossification of skeletal elements in various vertebrate groups; currently I am working with Xenopus laevis.  Most all of my work has described ossification sequences for cranial elements by documenting which elements are present at various stages of development.  I would like to address issues of intraspecific variation in timing of ossification, so here is my question:

Are there any dyes or stains that can be administered to live aquatic amphibians and that will bind to bone at the site of deposition of the mineral matrix?  The trick is that I would like to apply this dye/stain at regular intervals, so it must be possible to apply them without killing the animal---visualization of the sites of deposition will be conducted after the study is completed (at which point I will euthanize the treated tadpoles).

I greatly appreciate any help with this issue.

Sincerely,
-Christopher

Christopher Sheil
Graduate Coordinator