[Histonet] Glyco-Fixx

Lynette Pavelich LPaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Wed Jan 2 14:11:38 CST 2013

I'm thinking that the Glyoxal fixative may not be your problem.  When I have had experience with "muddy",  I often have to look at our 100's and clearants. Sounds like perhaps you may have some water contamination going on. I would start there.
What kind of processor are you using?

Lynette

Lynette Pavelich, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Hurley Medical Center
One Hurley Plaza
Flint, MI 48503

ph: 810.262.9948
mobile: 810.444.7966

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Mary Benoit [mbplab <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:47 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Glyco-Fixx

Need help solving a fixation/processing problem.  We are a regional reference Pathology Lab and we recently began receiving GI biosies in Glyco-fix from Thermo Scientific.  Our standard processing for small biopsies is formalin 2 changes for 1hour and 1.5 hours; 70% for 15 minutes; 95% 2 changes 15 min each; 100% 3 changes 30 min each; xylene 2 changes 30 min each and paraffin 3 changes 30 min each.  Theis has worked great for years with my specimens received in formalin.  Now the biopsies received in glycol-fix have no nuclear detail, look "muddy" and I am not sure what to do or what to change in my protocol.  The pathologists are speaking with the clinicians, but it isa P.R. thing and this must be handled the right way.  I know the fixative is mostly alcohol blend with a little glyoxal, but even post fixing in 10%NBF is not helping.  Suggestions please!
Mary F Benoit
mbplab <@t> yahoo.com
The Pathology Laboratory
Lake Charles, LA