[Histonet] Regarding a problem in manual paraffin embedding

Anatoli Gleiberman AGleiberman <@t> cbiolabs.com
Wed Jan 2 11:04:09 CST 2013

Chirayu,

Usual problems with heads of late mouse embryos is poor dehydrations. My recommendation is to use isopropanol instead of absolute ethanol.

My protocol that worked very well for many years was:

Fixation with NBF for 4-6h, short rinse with PBS and storage at 70% ethanol overnight
(Alternative fixation - 6 parts of absolute ethanol, 3 parts of distilled water, 1 part of 37% formaldehyde - 4-6 h, transfer in 70% ethanol overnight)

4 changes of isopropanol, 1h each
3 changes of xylene - 45 min each
3 changes of paraffin 1h each.

Anatoli Gleiberman, PhD