[Histonet] Melanin Bleaching

Teri Johnson TJohnson <@t> gnf.org
Wed Jan 2 10:30:41 CST 2013

Hi Janci,

We have used 10% H2O2 overnight and 3% at 55 degrees for 2 hours prior to immunostaining and both worked adequately to bleach the melanin. However, we did have trouble with tissue falling off at 2 hours, so you might need to test it in your own lab and see if you can get away with less time and still get adequate bleaching. We also have successfully used Azure B staining for turning the melanin green. It might be a better alternative;  you can just use it as a counterstain instead of hematoxylin as it also stains the nuclei. Let me know and I can send you a protocol if you need it.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
GNF Histology Lab Manager
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
858-332-4752