AW: [Histonet] FISH baking and dewaxing

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Fri Feb 15 09:20:13 CST 2013

We see better results with FISH-slides baked over night. This is a
phenomenon called aging, known from cytogenetics.
It seems, that the time of air-drying and heat leads to a better access of
the probes to the dna.
Therefor we let them also in the oven over the weekend.
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Houston,
Ronald
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2013 20:08
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] FISH baking and dewaxing

Can someone please explain why paraffin-embedded slides for FISH need to be
baked for so long and have extensive dewaxing in xylenes and subsequent
alcohol pretreatment?
Our Molecular group bake for >1 hr at 65C, and then treat sections in 3
changes of xylene 15 min each, and 100% ethanol 15 minutes each x2 before
air-drying. I have asked them why so long and get the standard response --
"that's the way we always do it"!

Thanks
Ronnie

Ronnie Houston, MS HT(ASCP)QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Manager
ChildLab, a Division of Nationwide Children's Hospital www.childlab.com

700 Children's Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
(P) 614-722-5450
(F) 614-722-2899
ronald.houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org<mailto:ronald.houston <@t> nationwidechild
rens.org>
www.NationwideChildrens.org<http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/>

"One person with passion is better than forty people merely interested."
~ E.M. Forster